Weight loss, healthy skin and hair – What are the benefits of drinking coriander water as a morning ritual?  |  Photo Credit: iStock Images
- Coriander water can be made by soaking coriander seeds overnight in drinking water
- Coriander is a rich source of nutrients like vitamins and iron
- Here is all you need to know about the benefits of including coriander water in your diet
New Delhi: Coriander powder is used as a popular spice in Indian cooking and is a common condiment found in almost all households. Whole coriander seeds are also often added to food for the wonderful flavour they add to curries, vegetables, and soups.
However, did you know that including coriander water in your diet as a morning ritual can have many health benefits? Here is all you need to know about how to make coriander water, and why it should be your go-to morning drink.
How to make coriander water
To make coriander water, all you have to do is soak 1 tablespoon coriander seeds in 1 cup drinking water, overnight. In the morning, strain the seeds and drink the water.
You may dry the seeds and later use them in cooking, as usual.
Benefits of Coriander Water for overall health
- Boosts immunity: Coriander is known to boost immunity, as the antioxidants present in coriander help in reducing free radical activity in the body. Keeping your body’s first line of defence boosted can help fight many diseases, including COVID-19 disease, which is currently plaguing the world.
- Helps in digestion and boosts weight loss: Coriander has certain digestive properties which have also made it a popular seed to be used in Iranian medicine for digestive troubles. Drinking coriander water in the morning can help improve digestion throughout the day, and boost metabolism. Both these properties can help aid the weight loss process.
- Strengthens the hair: Coriander is known to be rich in vitamins like Vitamin K, C, and A. All these are very vital for hair strength and growth. Drinking coriander water in the morning can help reduce hair fall and hair breakage. Additionally, you can also apply coriander oil or hair masks.
- Reduces acne, pigmentation and scars: Coriander is rich in iron, and has anti-fungal, anti-bacterial properties. Drinking coriander water in the morning can help you achieve a radiant glow, and give you clear, smooth skin.
- Helps to flush out toxins: Coriander is a diuretic, and can therefore help you flush out the toxins from your body. Drinking coriander water in the morning can help you detox your system and start fresh.
Having a morning ritual can help you kickstart your day and feel more energized, detoxed and healthy. People with diabetes should consult their doctors before drinking coriander water in the morning, as it can lower blood sugar levels and lead to hypoglycemia.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purpose only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a dietician before starting any fitness programme or making any changes to your diet.
For full coverage on Coronavirus pandemic, click here. Join the Times Group initiative #MaskIndia. Share a picture with your home-made mask on your social handles using #MaskIndia. The best picture will be featured in TOI and on maskindia.com