What are some foods you must include in your diet if you’re trying to build muscle?  |  Photo Credit: iStock Images
- Your diet plays a very important role in keeping you healthy and fit
- Contrary to people’s belief, only exercise is not important to gain muscle and get a toned body
- Eating the right foods with the right nutrients is equally important to help your body gain the muscle mass
New Delhi: Your diet plays a crucial role in helping you lose weight, and maintain it. However, very few people realise that diet also plays a very important role in building muscle. Building muscle and getting a toned, muscular body, is not just about how many pushups you do in a day, or how many hours you spend in the gym. It is also about what you eat to supplement the process.
The role of diet in building muscle
Certain nutrients that we receive from our food are extremely important in building muscle. We hear about people drinking huge tumblers of protein shake, and take other supplements to build muscles. However, these are not always healthy, and trying to change your diet or body so drastically can have certain adverse health effects.
Nutrients such as protein, one of the key nutrients for building muscle, can be obtained from food as well. Here are 5 foods you must include in your diet, as you exercise rigorously to build muscle.
- Eggs: Boiled eggs are one of the most common foods eaten by those who exercise at the gym. This is because eggs are a great source of protein, and when you exercise, the protein in your body is used up in the right place to build muscles.
- Salmon: Salmon is a rich source of nutrients like protein, omega 3 fatty acids, etc. Salmon is a great choice for muscle building and overall health.
- Chicken breast: This food is not only rich in protein, but also in vitamins such as vitamin B12. These nutrients are very important if you are active. The vitamins make sure that the body processes run efficiently, and that helps in the process of gaining muscle.
- Soyabeans: One of the most nutritious vegetarian foods out there, soyabeans can be a part of your muscle-building diet if you are vegetarian or vegan. This food is rich in phosphorous, and iron, two extremely important nutrients for health and fitness.
- Cottage cheese: Cottage cheese is considered a replacement for meat in every vegetarian household, in terms of taste. However, cottage cheese is also a great replacement for meat in terms of nutrition. It is rich in protein, vitamins, and is rich in muscle-building amino-acid leucine.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purpose only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a dietician before starting any fitness programme or making any changes to your diet.
For full coverage on Coronavirus pandemic, click here. Join the Times Group initiative #MaskIndia. Share a picture with your home-made mask on your social handles using #MaskIndia. The best picture will be featured in TOI and on maskindia.com