Add winter superfood Nutmeg or Jaiphal to your diet for benefits like weight loss, diabetes control and others  |  Photo Credit: iStock Images
- A weight loss diet must include food that are low in calories and fat
- A diabetic diet must include foods that have low sugar content in it
- Here is how consumption of nutmeg can affect weight loss and diabetes in the humans
New Delhi: Nutmeg is a spice that is commonly known as jaiphal. It is obtained from a tree known as Myristica fragrans. The seeds of the tree are picked and turned into finely ground powder. It is a common ingredient that is found in almost every Indian household. The main purpose of this spice is the enhancement of flavours. The taste of this spice is nutty and sweet. Apart from being an amazing spice, nutmeg can offer certain health benefits to the body as well. It is most commonly used in desserts and is used in small quantities due to its rich flavour.
5 Health benefits of nutmeg
Some of the common health benefits offered by nutmeg are as follows:
- Weight loss: A healthy weight loss is possible only with healthy gut health. A good digestive system can help with weight loss by improving the absorption of essential nutrients and getting rid of toxins from the body. Nutmeg has miraculous effects on weight loss as it can help ease symptoms of digestive problems such as constipation, gas or bloating.
- Diabetes control: According to a study published in PubMed Central, nutmeg can help control blood sugar levels in the body, thereby, promoting diabetes control. It also stimulates a healthy function of the pancreas.
- Brain health: Nutmeg can have calming, de-stressing effects on the brain. Due to these properties, nutmeg can act as a stimulant and cause upliftment of mood. Furthermore, it can help relax the brain, thereby shooting symptoms of insomnia and other sleep disorders. All these characteristics combined, nutmeg can help improve cognitive function.
- Skin health: Nutmeg is a spic and contains anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. Furthermore, it contains antioxidants. You can use nutmeg as an ingredient in your homemade skincare remedies’ recipes and wait for healthy, glowing results.
- Pain reliever: Inflammation is one of the leading causes of pain and aches in humans. Nutmeg has anti-inflammatory properties. This makes it an effective pain reliever that can help get rid of symptoms such as swelling, sores and muscle cramps.
Ways to include nutmeg in your diet
Nutmeg is a spice therefore it is easier to incorporate it in your diet. It can help enhance the flavour of the food. You can add it to your vegetables while cooking them. When having fruits, you can add a pinch to your favourite fruit salad. Nutmeg works amazingly well for baked items and desserts. You can add the spice to your cakes, pancakes, pies, and muffins. Because nutmeg can spike up the flavour, you can add a pinch to your favourite beverage and drinks as well.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general information purpose only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a dietician before starting any fitness programme or making any changes to your diet.